Red Badge of CourageStephen CraneHarcourtNew York
1. Henry Fleming, a farmer and a nobody, wanted to become a hero in war and have girls loving him for his glorious achievements in battle. So Henry decides to join the Union army, during the Civil War. He knew his mother would not like to see him go to war, but it was his decision to make. So he enlists in the Union army. H makes friends with two other soldiers, John Wilson and Jim Conklin. Wilson was as exited about going to war as Henry, while Jim was confident about the success of the new regiment. Henry started to realize after a few days of marching, that their regiment was just wandering aimlessly, going in circles, like a vast blue demonstration. He started to become afraid that he might run from battle when duty calls. When the regiment finally discovers a battle taking place, Jim gives Henry a little packet in a yellow envelope, telling Henry that his will be his first and last battle. The regiment managed to hold off the rebels for the first charge, but then the rebels came back with reenforcements, driving the regiment back. One man started to flee, then another, and another still. Henry was scared, confused, and in a trance as he saw his forces shrinking. He finally got up and started running like a chicken. In the charge ahead, Henry starts asking the soldiers why they are running. He grabbed a comrade by the arm and asked the man “why” not letting go of the mans arm, so the man hit Henry over the head with the butt of his rifle, giving Henry his first Red Badge of Courage. At his regiment he confronts Wilson. After a short rest he again gets back into battle. After the regiment lost that battle, the generals had the regiment marching again. Henry begins to feel that, he and Wilson, are going to die, but goes to battle anyway He was not going to be badgered of his life.. In yet another battle, when Henry and Wilson get a chance to carry their flag, they fight over who will retain the flag. Wilson got the regiment flag, though later in battle Henry manages to obtain the rebel flag. And from there, runs to the front of the line with the Lieutenant, leading the way.
2. Their regiment keeps getting moved back and our losing the battle. But even worse, their men are running away.
3. After they rest, henry and Wilson motivate the regiment enough for them to win the last battle as they lead the regiment with their flag.
4. Henry Fleming, Jim Conklin and John Wilson
5. It is told in 1st person.
6. The battle scenes are hilly, grassy, and many trees around. Most of the battlefields where taken place in Virginia.
8. Of course the Civil War.
9. Slavery and war debts.
II. Henry is a hero, which was his dream. He helped the regiment win the battle and motivated them so they would have more moral.