Police work and related feilds
December 1 1995
CO-OP Christmas exam
1. The working conditions of a police officer can vary fromeasy to stressful situations where the officers life and the lives of others are threatened. The officer must deal with these situations in the way they feel is best but sometimes the officer cannot deal with this situation on their own and they have to call in backup witch can help them deal with the situation.
CHANGING IN THE WORK PLACE
In these times of change many work places are finding it necessary to change the ways in which they do business. The RCMP for example are moving into a more community based policing. This makes the police more accessible to the community. In this new system the RCMP try to solve the problem if they are repeatedly called to the same home for domestic disputes they will stay for how ever long it takes to find the route of the problem, where as if they were to encounter the same situation their policy was to arrive in two minutes and stay for 20 minutes. This new program is the starting stages and already it has had great reviews and great public support, as it brings the police closer to the community. Another part of this community based policing is that there are crime prevention comities that are run by various community groups that have monthly meetings with the police. A police officer starts their career with on the job training and then they move on to become a constable where they must be able to relocate to any part of the country where they are positioned. In order for an officer to advance tier career they may have to switch divisions where their careers may excel. The work values for a police officer is to uphold the law, patrol assigned areas and maintain public safety. They also participate in public information groups and safety programs.
2. The nature of the work is always changing as crimes are becoming more and more sophisticated, as well as there is no set times that any crimes will happen so their jobs are always different. The job of a police officer is always different as they could be talking to various groups on any number of topics. They could also be testifying in court in relation to an investigation they participated in. Officers may also take calls on situations in which they can provide counselling to the caller until help arrives or provide necessary numbers of shelters and food banks.
3. The outlook in this field is good although an officer could go through the six month training program at the ROYAL CANADIAN MOUNTED POLICE TRAINING facilities in Regina Saskatchewan, but when an officer is finished they are not necessarily guaranteed a job as the RCMP as the officers are selected as to their qualities and what degrees that you may have from universities or colleges. This training that you receive may be useful in finding a career in a city or provincial police department.
GROWTH IN THIS FIELD
The projected growth in the field of law enforcement from the years 1995-2000 is 0.65% and the projected growth rate for commissioned police officers is 0.72% from the years 1995-2000. This doesn’t necessarily mean that there will be more demand for commissioned police officers as the public is more and more dissatisfied with the RCMP and other police organizations. This information was provided from the Canadian Occupational projection system (COPS). Commissioned police officers work for the municipal, provincial and Federal agencies.
4. The starting salary for a police officer in at entry level is around $30,000 and the average yearly wage of a regular officer is around $49,000 and those at the top of the field can earn up to $64,000 per year. Commissioned officers earn at entry level $50,000 and the average commissioned officer earns $66,000 while those at the top of the field earn up to $80,000.
5. Qualifications and or skills that would help a person to become a police officer are sense of responsibility, successful completion of CPR courses and survival swimming courses. You must also have a high school diploma and if you have any post secondary education it would certainly be an asset if it is a degree in social sciences such as sociology and or criminology. At the time of entry into the RCMP training facility you must also have a valid drivers license and before you are allowed to drive a patrol car(once you have been posted) you must have at least 16,000 km of driving experience.
6. Some spin off fields of work that a police officer can use his/her training or skills in are:
Commissioned police officer
Private Detective Sheriffs and Bailiffs
Store DetectiveSecurity Guards
7. Some advantages and disadvantages that are associated with this field of work as stated by officers in the field are:
– A sense of good for helping others
– The variety of the job in each day
– Being able to help individuals who are victims of a crime or An accident.
– being able to meet all kinds of different people
– The probability of injury or death on the job
– Working nights, weekends, and holidays
– being on call 24 hours a day
– Working long hours during an emergency
– Moving around the country
8. Post secondary education that is required for the job of a police officer are: A degree in sociology and or criminology, training at the RCMP training facility in Regina or you could attend Holland college in PEI(Which is a training facility were officers for city and commissioned officers) You should also attend a university were you could receive a degree in sociology or criminology. Entrance requirements for in trance into these courses at universities are English and it is suggested that you have a high school credit for sociology, modern word problems and law.
9.Name and addresstuition feesstudent fees
RCMP college in Regina
Saskatchewanall expenses paidall expenses paid
Holland college in Leman Park PEIall expenses paid if sponsored all expenses paid if sponsored
University rd Halifax nsSociology
10.universitytuitionbooksstudent feeslodging and foodclothingentertain-n
RCMP Trainingas stated aboveas stated aboveas stated aboveall expenses paidall expenses paid$300 per month
Holland collegeas stated above as stated aboveas stated above all expense paidall expenses paid$300 per month
Saint Mary’s$2350$150$85$4350 with meal plan$200$300
11. Questions that you should ask yourself before perusing a career as a Police Officer are:
a) Do I have the necessary education to Perdue this career?
B) Can I preform the to physical and mental demands of the job?
C) Can I adjust to another part of the country if I am transferred?
D) Can I handle going to a crime scene where there is a victim of a homicide or suicide?
e) Can I preform under a great deal of stress?
F) Can I preform to the social and mental demands of this job?
G) Can I keep my physical condition within the parameters of the job?
H) how will this job effect my present and or future family?
I) could I testify in court and participats in community outreach programs effectively?
12.Steps that I will need to take to better Perdue this career are: To study harder at my school work, take and pass both a CPR and survival swimming course, I must also get my physical condition up to the necessary levels and maintain that level for the duration of my being a police officer.
Discover program on the network at A.D.H.S,1995
Saint Mary’s 1995-96 school calender – from student services.
Talking with officers in the fiel on how they feel about thier job and what is required of them on the job.
Post secondary education day in the gym on the 29th of November I talked with a representative of Holland college
My thoughts on this exam are that it seemed a bit long to do and I really had a hard time finding material for if. I also found it hard to find time to type it into the correct format.